Saturday, September 1, 2007

How to Start an Argument

I'm definitely in one of my film cycles. I've seen a bunch of movies in the theater this summer and am starting to get back into DVDs at home. The documentary Forgiving Dr. Mengele is the story of a Holocaust survivor who, along with her twin sister, was subjected to experimentation at the hands of Dr. Mengele. She decided a few years ago to publicly forgive Mengele for what he did to her and to all Jews. Her audacity sets off a firestorm in the survivor community. How can she do this? Both sides air their feelings and its impossible, at least for me, to say who is right and who is wrong. I've discussed the film with two Christian friends: one a fundamentalist and the other I would describe as a humanist. Unsurprisingly, they were of different opinions but I was surprised by how animated they were about the topic: what is forgiveness and what are you doing when you forgive someone? I think the answer for each person is found in their own perception of God. A loving God forgives us our sins so who are we not to forgive each other? A sterner God expects us to follow his rules and if not, justice will be meted out in the afterlife. You can be forgiven if you repent but if not, watch out. This film is an excellent conversation starter if you're with people who can remain rational.

No comments: