Sunday, August 12, 2007

Inventor Frees People from Burden of Walking

Initially I thought the Segway was ridiculous but now I understand they can be useful for some people with MS and for police who have to patrol large areas without a car (an airport for example). I still don't see how useful they are for the average pedestrian since there isn't room on sidewalks for everyone to use one and all they seem to do is replace walking which is the only exercise most people get in an average day. I see them all the time because my evening bus stop is right next to the DC Segway store. People are always going out for a test drive. They move a lot faster than I thought they would and I have to admit I have never seen a collision with a pedestrian. My question is: do we really need an invention that replaces walking? The picture is of a commencement speaker who entered the auditorium on a Segway as an example of ideas that change the world. We'll see.

No comments: